Thursday, January 27, 2011

The landscape

According to the article on Wikipedia:


"Landscape art is a term that covers the depiction of natural scenery such as mountains, valleys, trees, rivers, and forests, and especially art where the main subject is a wide view, with its elements arranged into a coherent composition. In other works landscape backgrounds for figures can still form an important part of the work. Sky is almost always included in the view, and weather is often an element of the composition. Detailed landscapes as a distinct subject are not found in all artistic traditions, and develop when there is already a sophisticated tradition of representing other subjects."

I've decided to sometimes deviate a bit from only showing my work on my blog. It has to become somewhat boring to you as viewer. I know I would go insane if I look at only my own work everyday! So I'll share some of my favourite works by other artists, which will anyway give you more insight into what inspires my artwork... While on Wikipedia I spotted this work, which immediately caught my attention:


Hasegawa Tōhaku, Pine Trees, one of a pair of folding screens, Japan, 1593.

I have always loved Pierneef's work, especially the way that he depicts trees:



This also reminds me of Cape Town-based artist and illustrator Cedric Hunter's technique - with an incredible way of handling light, rocks, and achieving atmosphere in his work. I'll try and post an image or two of his work soon.

And I've always admired Ian Marley's work. I've had the privilege to have Ian as a lecturer in my first year of studying at the Vaal University of Technology. A super-talented artist, this is one of his charcoal landscapes:

No comments:

Post a Comment