Tuesday, January 22, 2013

2013: Change, simplicity and focus

This year is already growing into something beautiful. My first two weeks were filled with family time and recharging for the work that lies ahead this year. I also have some new opportunities, and the potential for new directions to take with my art, my writing and interactive projects. However, I feel that I have to find a balance between following new paths, and completing and continuing older projects and ideas.

Let's look at the specific aspect of my art - before starting a completely new and fresh body of work, I need to finish the series of work that I started last year. Or do I? Maybe not. My body of work on marks left on the landscape could be contained and accumulated into the SAND(SPOOR] performance that I performed at the National Arts Festival in Grahamstown in July 2012. This means that I can focus my attention on a new body of work that expresses and symbolizes my own growth and the increasing maturity of my work. 

Another example is the continuation and building of the Scapes project and Green Your Art. Do I need to follow through on what I intended for these projects to become, or should I be open to them transform, develop and shift into something new or different? I think that I am ready to let go of the things that didn't work and flow in 2012, and to free myself from old expectations. I am open to collaboration and to these projects growing into something more focused, more simple, or that they merge with other organizations or groups in a way that we can make more of an impact together, with shared responsibilities, and joint energy and effort. If you're interested in being a part of the new direction for GYA (Green Your Art) and the Scapes project, let me know at art@janetbotes.co.za.

I am looking forward towards a year of renewed focused on creating art. With a renewed dedication towards exploring the processes and aspects of nature and landscapes; and expressing these explorations and insights through creative media and methods.

No comments:

Post a Comment