Sunday, March 24, 2013

Google Reader retirement a shock in my digital world

I've never actually felt disappointed by an online product, service or app being discontinued before. This is definitely a first for me - even though I usually try limit the time I spend online in favor of physical activity, gardening or art-making, I love using Google Reader. I've been using it to read updates from green blogs, see inspiring new art by fellow artists and keep myself updated and motivated by reading posts from blogs such as Zenhabits. Google Reader retiring in July 2013? NOT what I wanted to read or hear!

So... Finding an alternative. Thus far, after minimal research, the main contenders are: Feedly (however, they are currently using Google Reader as base for their RSS!), Flipboard and Netvibes. What RSS reader are you using?

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for making me aware of this... I also liked using Google Reader :( Not sure which alternative to use now and not in the mood to do long searches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also felt a sinking feeling when I heard this. I've moved over to Feedly, which is just as good as GR so far, and apparently they have a contingency plan for when it's all over for GR, let's hope it works out :)

    ReplyDelete