Monday, August 19, 2013

Creative Energy and Flow at Site_Specific

I was very privileged to be one of the artists for the 2013 Site_Specific International Land Art Biennale, held in Plettenberg Bay from 10-17 August. I met incredible artists, professionals and also members of the public (some as young as 5 years old, while others were retired and had a lot of experience and wonderful stories to share). I'd like to share the work that I did during the week...





Inspired and fascinated by the splatter patterns of water on sand,
the idea started to form around
the connection and borders
between land and sea. 

Sea to me = Spatters Waves Foam Water Flow
&
Land brought me to soil, mud, "grond"




Only after I started playing and experimenting with the mud on the sand and rocks did I find out about the ship that got stranded just up the coast towards Knysna and Wilderness, leaking oil. My artwork incidentally or accidentally gained a new layer of meaning.



"Flow" and "Riding the Wave" became slogans for my week - realizing I had to manage my energy levels, taking advantage of the inspiration and creative flow, because time seemed to fly past sooo quickly!

...The sands of time...





Painting with Mud.
Connecting with the rocks that has not yet eroded into sand.









Flow. Drift. Splatter
Flowing with clarity and energized focus.
Creating, Working
Being in the moment.

Drifting along, swept away by emotions.
Feelings, thoughts that ebb and flow like the tides.
While oil seep into the cracks of our survival.
Spluttering, Crashing against rock, 
hitting your head against a wall to leave your mark.

Flow, Focus, Have Faith
that you are in the right place at the right time.
That everything can be healed, washed away
By water. Or by Time.




 For images of work by the other Site_Specific artists and participants, go to: 
  • pinterest.com/sitespecificafr/landartbiennale-photo-competition/
  • facebook.com/events/418591894888932
  • sitespecific.org.za
  • landartsouthafrica.blogspot.com/2013/08/sitespecific-2013-huge-success.html


4 comments:

  1. Lovely work! Well done and a what a wonderful experience :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Di! I think you should plan to participate in the next one - you will enjoy it so much!

      Delete
  2. Great work! Thank you for sharing. I also liked the video which showed a short bit of your work (if I am correct?) on the Land Art South Africa blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      Yup, Grace from Daron Chatz photography & film caught me at sunset (it was overcast, though) at my site while doing some mud 'experiments' in the surf, and she managed to capture the wonderful moment that you see at the end of the video!

      Delete